This course covers macronutrients (carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins) and micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, trace elements, and various phytochemicals and accessory nutrients). Macronutrients are addressed in terms of digestion, absorption, transportation, metabolism, and storage. The health effects of various macronutrients and their building blocks are considered. The complex function of micronutrients is reviewed, along with interactions, excesses, deficiencies, and supplementation. Students will examine nutrients within the context of a whole foods diet. Students will become proficient in analyzing case study data comparing nutrient intake in a variety of diets.
- Doctor of Acupuncture
- Doctor of Oriental Medicine
- Master of Acupuncture
- Master of Oriental Medicine
- Post Master`s Certificate in Clinical Herbalism
- Post Master`s Certificate in Nutrition and Integrative Health
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Sports Performance and Integrative Nutrition