Beginning with the January 2016 intake, Maryland University of Integrative Health is offering a newly redesigned curriculum for our acupuncture and Oriental medicine programs. Our faculty redesigned the programs considering trends in integrative health, current research available in the field of acupuncture and Oriental medicine, performance on the national exam, and the educational components needed to build a successful and meaningful career post- graduation. Throughout the process, they strongly considered the suggestions and requests of alumni and senior students.
The revised programs offer students the following:
- Highly comprehensive and integrated understanding of the classical and theoretical foundations of the field of acupuncture and Oriental medicine. Everything studied builds upon and expands from this foundation.
- Strong focus on both the Constitutional Five Element Acupuncture tradition and Eight Principle treatment strategies. Being able to work from the perspectives of both models gives students the ability to treat on many levels and with a more complete “toolkit.”
- An understanding of biomedicine from an integrative and holistic perspective. Students will be prepared to work in a number of settings with other healthcare providers and can articulate the value of this approach.
- Courses focused on self-cultivation and personal transformation that lead to our students’ developing what we refer to as a “healing presence.” Unique to MUIH, this competency positions our graduates to stand out among their peers.
- Highly rigorous clinical experience. Beginning in the second trimester, students observe and interact with senior students and faculty who are treating patients. Our students immediately think of themselves as practitioners, which gives them the confidence over time to treat a diverse group of patients with a wide range of health challenges.
- Ability to specialize in the treatment of certain health conditions and populations, including pain management and women’s health.
- A solid foundation in career development, business skills, and practice management. We want to ensure that our students enter the work force with confidence and success.
We strongly believe that these revised programs represent the most comprehensive, progressive, inspirational and practical educational offerings in the field of acupuncture and Oriental medicine today.
Learn more about our acupuncture and Oriental medicine programs here.