Nutrition student Jamie Reisinger shares this festive, antioxidant-rich recipe that’s ideal for serving at large holiday get-togethers.
The Brussels sprouts are an excellent source of vitamin K, the butternut squash is loaded with vitamin A and the cranberries contain vitamin C. Toss on some toasted walnuts at the end for a boost of omega 3 fatty acids. The tartness of the cranberries is well balanced with the sweetness of the honey and roasted vegetables. Makes enough to serve a large family with leftovers or to put out for a holiday buffet.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1.5 hours
- 1 large butternut squash
- 32 oz. Brussels sprouts
- 1 lb. whole cranberries
- 1 C apple cider vinegar
- ½ C honey
- 1 T ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ C toasted walnuts (optional)
- ½ C cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp sea salt
- Warm cider vinegar and honey in small pot on stove and mix in cinnamon and cloves. Once vinegar starts to simmer, add washed cranberries and cover. Let sit for 15-20 minutes or until cranberries soften and begin to pop.
- Warm oven to 400 F
- Peel butternut squash and cut into 1” cubes. Set aside in a gallon freezer bag
- Strain cranberries and set them aside. Make sure to save the liquid they were cooked in and pour that over your cubed butternut squash. Add the remaining sea salt to bag of squash and shake until coated evenly with salt and apple cider vinegar mixture.
- Spread butternut squash evenly on a large baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes or until you can easily pierce each piece with a fork.
- Wash and quarter Brussels sprouts after discarding their stem (the white hard part on the bottom). Set aside in a separate gallon freezer bag. Pour olive oil and half of sea salt into bag and shake until sprouts are evenly coated.
- Add Brussels sprouts to the pan and continue to bake for another 30 minutes or until sprouts and squash are slightly browned on edges.
- Remove pan from oven and mix in cranberries. Top with toasted walnuts, optional.
Serve warm and enjoy as a festive side dish to your holiday meal!