Refreshing and sweet, with a hint of tartness, this smoothie is not only delicious but good for you too. Thanks to Ashley Harvard, a graduate nutrition student, for sharing her smoothie recipe!
This smoothie is both sweet and tart and is a perfect way to use any peaches and raspberries you purchase at local farmers markets or pick on local farms (both fruits are in season now through mid-September). Raspberries are high in vitamin C and manganese and have a diverse array of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients. Medjool dates contain a soluble fiber known as Beta-D-glucan, which works to decrease the body’s absorption of cholesterol as well as keep blood sugar levels even. This recipe is adapted from Superfood Smoothies by Julie Morris.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peaches, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2 or 3 large Medjool dates, pits removed
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed (or chia seeds)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold water
- Your favorite smart sweetener, added to taste (i.e few drops of liquid stevia, or teaspoon of raw honey)
Blend all ingredients until smooth and frosty. Taste, and sweeten as desired. Makes about 2 servings.