What do I do if I know a student, staff, or faculty member who may need to be referred to the CARE Team?

  • If you feel there is or may be an immediate threat, call 911. Then inform the MUIH CARE team after the immediate concern is addressed. Please refer to the Students in Distress Guide.
  • To make a referral, you can complete this form or contact the Dean of Student Affairs Michelle Coleman. You will be asked for basic information about the student and a description of the incident or observed behaviors that prompted your referral.
  • If you are comfortable doing so, share with the community member that you are concerned and ask if they are okay; focus on listening non-judgmentally. Offer to connect the student, faculty, or staff member with support services. If a student expresses interest in getting help, you can refer them to our Counseling and Referral Services. Staff and faculty in distress can be referred to our Employee Assistance Program. Please still make a referral to the CARE team and indicate that you discussed your concerns and note the outcome.

Can I submit a referral anonymously?

Yes. However, keep in mind that this may limit the extent to which we are able to address the concern that you are reporting.

Can I submit a referral confidentially?

We will do our best to honor requests for confidentiality but cannot guarantee this if there is a safety concern. We are committed to acting with great sensitivity, discernment, and integrity.

What happens after I make the referral?

While each situation is unique, our first step is to obtain and evaluate the information you provide and thoughtfully determine a plan for addressing the concern. In most cases, we will conduct caring, thoughtful outreach by a member of the CARE team.

Will I be updated about the CARE Team’s response after making a referral?

You can expect to receive confirmation that our CARE team received your referral, and we may request to speak with you to gather helpful context or assistance with resolution. To maintain privacy and adhere to applicable laws, we may not be able to share further information. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact or Michelle Coleman, Dean of Student Affairs.

What if I’m unsure whether a referral is appropriate?

When in doubt, please make the referral if you concerned about the safety or well-being of any member of our community. The CARE team will review your referral and respond accordingly. The most important action you can take is to report the concern. If another MUIH department is better suited to provide support, we will make the referral and ensure that the appropriate information is shared with them.

What is the difference between this referral for students and the Notice of Faculty Outreach and Support (NOFOS)?

NOFOS is appropriate for when students are in danger of failing a course due to their academic participation and performance. A CARE team referral is appropriate for when a student is demonstrating behaviors of concern for any reason, even if they are performing well in the class. Examples of these behaviors include frequent tardiness, emotional regulation concerns, withdrawal, etc.