Perfect for hot summer days when we crave foods that are light yet still filling, this nutrient-dense and super-flavorful dish made with red peppers and avocados hits the spot. Thanks to Jason Bosley-Smith, a graduate nutrition student, for sharing this delicious recipe!
As Jason explains: “Red peppers are rich in vitamin C which is a potent antioxidant and an important nutrient in collagen synthesis in the body. Avocados provide a number of nutrients including fiber, monounsaturated fat, potassium, and vitamins C, K, folate, and B6. Recent research shows that antioxidants are better absorbed with the healthy monounsaturated fat avocados have in abundance.”
- ½ cup red or white onion, chopped medium-fine
- 2 ripe avocados, diced into half-inch cubes
- 2 large, fresh organic tomatoes, chopped, juices strained
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped, plus additional leaves to garnish
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- ½ – 1 inch finely chopped jalapeno pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ tsp sea salt, plus generous grind of fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin, to taste
- 2 cups organic mixed salad greens
- 2 large organic red peppers, halved down center, seeds removed (trim bottom to sit level if needed)
- Toss onion, avocado, tomatoes and cilantro together in glass or stainless steel bowl.
- Whisk garlic, jalapeno, lemon juice and seasonings together. Pour over avocado salad and gently mix. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Fold avocado base in with a handful of mixed salad greens and stuff into bell peppers.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.