Recipe by Nutrition Student, Maya Lechowick
- 2 cups water (or broth)
- 1/2 ea 16oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked long, grain brown rice
- 1 ea 16 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 small bunch (1/2Ib.) greens (kale, swiss chard), sliced. If using spinach, don’t slice.
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
Method of Preparation:
- In a medium saucepan, add in water (or broth), tomatoes, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil. Then add in brown rice.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low to-low, and simmer until brown rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add black beans, stirring to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
While the rice is cooking:
- In a sauté pan, bring olive oil to medium heat. Add the onions and pinch of salt.
- Sauté onions 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Add garlic. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add greens. If greens are on the tougher side, a small amount of water may be added to “steam” the greens until tender, with lid on.
- Add in lemon juice.
- Adjust salt if needed. Serve with brown rice and black beans.