This recipe uses a custom curry blend that includes cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, and a serious dose of black pepper. Any curry powder or curry blend will do, though!
2 pounds apples (approx. 6 large apples) – peeled, cored, and quartered
1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes (approx. 2 large or 3 medium sized sweet potatoes)
1 pound carrots (approx. 5-6 large carrots)
1 large yellow onion
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon curry powder
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups milk
Cilantro for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Prep your apples and vegetables:
– Apples: Peel, core, and quarter
– Sweet potatoes: Peel and cut into 2-inch chunks
– Carrots: Peel and cut into 1-inch chunks
– Onion: Peel, cut into 6 pieces, and pull apart layers
3. In a large mixing bowl or soup pot, toss together apples, sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, vegetable oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange evenly in an 11×17-inch pan with an edge. Place on lower oven rack and roast for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring vegetables and rotating pan every 15 minutes. When everything is fork-tender and slightly browned, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
4. Working in batches, purée apple-vegetable mixture and curry in a blender or food processor, adding enough stock to allow soup to move freely. Process each batch for 2-3 minutes to ensure a smooth texture.
5. Pour soup into a medium saucepan. Stir in remaining stock and milk. Simmer for 15 minutes to infuse flavors.
6. Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro. This soup can be made up to two days in advance and reheated, or frozen.
Makes approximately 12 cups.