Chicken broth has long been considered a comforting cold remedy and has also shown promising anti-inflammatory properties. Butternut squash is a healthy carbohydrate rich in vitamin A, magnesium and potassium. Spinach provides fiber, vitamin A and Vitamin C. Chickpeas give us protein, folate, zinc and iron. Together all of the ingredients create a warm and healthy homemade meal.
This recipe is provided by Sara McNulty, a Clinical Nutrition Intern and graduate of the MUIH Nutrition and Integrative Health program. She can be reached at or 781-420-1339 for individualized nutrition counseling.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 small butternut squash, chopped (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 tsp black pepper, more to taste
- 2 tsp Celtic sea salt, more to taste
- 2 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 3 medium plum tomatoes, coarsely diced
- 2 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the butternut squash, black pepper, salt, and basil.
- Add the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and continue to simmer covered for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, spinach and chickpeas and cook uncovered until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes more. Season to taste with more salt and pepper, and enjoy!
Adapted from recipe by Ellie Krieger from Fine Cooking