Serves: 4 Estimated Cost: $8.35 Cost per Serving: $2.09Pasta-with-Homemade-Tomato-Sauce.pdf
- 4-6 qts water
- 2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 3 tbsp extra virgin
- olive oil, divided
- 12 medium roma
- tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell
- pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp basil, dried
- 1 tbsp oregano, dried
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 10 oz whole grain
- rotini pasta
- 2 tbsp parsley, fresh, minced
Needed from the Kitchen: Cutting board, knife, large stockpot, medium sautépan,masher(orfork), small sauté pan, spoon, colander
Method of Preparation:
- In a large pot, bring water and 1 tsp salt to a rolling boil over high heat. While the water comes to a boil, warm 2 tablespoon oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add tomatoes and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until tomatoes are cooked down, about 20 minutes. Occasionally, mash the tomatoes to help them cook down.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onions, peppers, carrots, and a 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sauté 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Continue to mash tomatoes. Once tomatoes are cooked down, add tomato paste, basil, oregano, and garlic powder. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Add pasta to boiling water and stir gently. Bring water back to a boil and cook pasta for 9 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pasta from heat and drain. Return pasta to pot. Add in tomato sauce, sautéed veggies, and stir well.
- Serve in bowl and garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Tomatoes – major source of the antioxidant lycopene, which has been linked to many health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and cancer. This antioxidant is found mostly in the skin of the tomato and the redder the tomato the more lycopene there is.
Whole Grain Pasta – contains dietary fiber which can help reduce the risk of heart disease. Consuming whole grains helps lower cholesterol, reduce blood pressure, and lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes.