This gluten and dairy free recipe requires no baking and makes for a deliciously sweet (and healthy!) snack during any time of day. The recipe includes omega-3 rich hemp seeds and walnuts as well as carrots, which are full of beta carotene (vitamin A), biotin and vitamin K. This recipe also uses fiber-packed and densely nutritious coconut butter. Thanks to holistic nutritionist Joy McCarthy for sharing her recipe with us!
For the Carrot Cake Squares:
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 12 medjool date, pitted
- 1.5 cups walnuts
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds or 2 scoops vanilla vegan protein powder
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract (if not using vanilla protein powder)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
For the Lemony Icing:
- 1/2 cup coconut butter at room temp (this is not the same thing as coconut oil — see note below)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- Optional: 2 tbsp almond milk
Carrot Cake Squares:
Place all the ingredients in a large food processor and blend until almost smooth. You may need to do this in two batches. Press mixture into a square 8×8 inch baking pan. Place in fridge.
Place icing ingredients into a mini food processor and blend until creamy. Add almond milk if you want a thinner consistency. Smooth over top of carrot cake mixture. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to enjoy! It will be easier to cut if you freeze it. Just let it sit for a few minutes once you remove it from the freezer otherwise the icing will be crumbly when you cut it.