Contributing Author: MS Nutrition & Integrative Health student, Maya Lechowick
Ingredients for the best Watermelon Gazpacho:
- 1 medium seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1 medium seedless cucumber, diced
- 3 ea roma tomatoes, diced (or 1 ea 15oz can diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp basil, cilantro, dill, parsley, or microgreens, minced, for garnish, if desired
Method of Prep:
- Add the watermelon, half of the diced cucumber, the tomatoes, the red bell pepper, half of the red onion, the garlic, vinegar, olive oil, salt, to a blender and puree until smooth. Taste a small spoonful for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.
- To serve, give the gazpacho a quick stir then spoon into serving bowls.
- Garnish with remaining diced red onion, cucumber, jalapeño pepper slices (optional), and a few fresh herbs or microgreens. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of the best Watermelon Gazpacho:
Watermelon – Watermelon’s 92% high water content aids in hydration. It also contains a variety of nutrients, including potassium, magnesium, and vitamins A and C. It’s also relatively low in calories, containing just 46 per cup (152 grams).
Cucumber – Cucumbers are composed of about 96% water, which can help increase hydration and meet your daily fluid intake. They also contain antioxidants, including flavonoids and tannins, which prevent the accumulation of harmful free radicals and may reduce the risk of chronic disease.