About the Symposium
The Maryland University of Integrative Health Research Symposium is an annual event that highlights the University’s research and scholarship.
The center-piece of the event is a poster session displaying recent research from the MUIH community. Students, faculty, and alumni are all eligible to submit abstracts and are chosen to present through a peer-review process.
Awards of excellence are given each year for student and faculty presenters, and the annual Excellence in Research and Scholarship Award is presented to a faculty member who has, over the previous year, advanced research in complementary and integrative health.
March 24, 2017, 5 – 8 p.m.
Maryland University of Integrative Health’s Research Symposium is an annual event that highlights the University’s research and scholarship.
The 2017 event will feature:
- A poster session displaying recent research from the MUIH community. To see this year’s poster abstracts click here.
- Keynote presentation by Dr. Belinda Anderson, Associate Clinical Professor at Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Einstein, NY) and Academic Dean at Pacific College of Oriental Medicine (PCOM-NY). Dr. Anderson’s presentation is titled “Evidence-Based Medicine and the Chinese Medicine Profession: An Exploration of Attitudes and Beliefs in Relation to Education and Cultural Change”. This talk will describe and discuss research that has been undertaken at Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, through a 5-year NIH grant. Read more about Dr. Anderson’s presentation and evidence-based research in a recent interview with MUIH’s James Snow here.
- A presentation by Dr. Michael Tims, this year’s winner of the MUIH Excellence in Research and Scholarship Award. Dr. Tims will discuss some of the innovative work he has conducted in his role as Academic Director for Herbal Programs at MUIH. His presentation is titled, "Design, Development, and Implementation of Two Student-assisted Research Studies". Read a recent interview with Dr. Tims and learn more about his presentation here.
- An update on Research activities at MUIH including a pilot study at MUIH’s Natural Care Center.
- Awards for student and faculty poster presentations.
Maryland University of Integrative Health
On March 11, students, faculty, and staff gathered for the annual event. Two symposium awards were given and Dr. Steffany Moonaz was recognized for winning MUIH’s first annual Excellence in Research and Scholarship Award. Dr. Clifton Bingham, Associate Professor of Medicine and Director of the Johns Hopkins Arthritis Center, presented the keynote address and Professor James Snow gave an update on the University’s key research initiatives. Read more here.