Students must demonstrate financial need in order to participate in the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program. Need is determined by an evaluation of the student’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are awarded FWS funds upon completion of the FAFSA provided that they have checked the interest in the work-study box, and as long as funds are available. Priority is given to students who demonstrate the most need.
Students must meet the following requirements in order to be considered for federal funds:
- Demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA
- Have a high school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED), and bachelor’s degree
- Be accepted and enrolled in a degree-eligible program
- Be U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Have valid Social Security number
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements set by the Financial Aid Office at MUIH according to federal guidelines set by the U.S. Department of Education
- Certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes
- Certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan
- Comply with the Selective Service registration, if required
Selection of Students
The policy regarding distribution of FWS funds is to award monies to as many students as possible. This is accomplished by awarding funds to students that demonstrate the financial need on a first come basis.
Students must complete the FAFSA annually and use MUIH school code of G25784.
On the FAFSA, students must check “yes” on question 31 that states “Are you interested in being considered for Work-Study?”
How to Apply for an FWS Position at MUIH:
- Click here to review current openings at MUIH (login to the my.muih.edu data portal required). Positions available to students who wish to participate in Federal Work-Study are titled as “FWS.”
- Click on the position, then click “Start Your Application” to complete the web-form and upload a resume.
- The Financial Aid Office will review the application and determine if the student is eligible for FWS.
- The supervisor will contact the student to interview for the FWS position.
- The supervisor will contact the Financial Aid Office on the approved applicant.
- The Financial Aid Office will notify the student that they have been approved for FWS.
- The student will need to come to the Financial Aid Office to complete FWS forms.
- The student will need to complete all necessary hiring documents with the Human Enrichment Office (HE).
Student Work Hours
A student FWS Contract Form will reflect his/her hours per week. Contract forms will be provided by Financial Aid Office upon approval of student’s employment. Students are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week. NOTE: Employers or departments must pay any wages earned over 20 hours per week. Students are not permitted to work during scheduled class times. When school is closed due to inclement weather students may not work unless they are employed at the community service site and the site is open. During the summer trimesters, and based on funding, students may work up to the second week in June if the office hours will allow and if the student has unmet need in their budget. Contact the Financial Aid Office in regards to summer trimester hours.
Types of Federal Work-Study Employment
On Campus: Students may apply to positions from all departments listed on the data portal. Opportunities include office and clerical support, tutoring, research, career services, and others that may be specific to the department needs. Click here to review FWS open positions.
Off Campus Community Service: Students who are in the degree programs of Nutrition or Health Promotion can apply for community service opportunities in family literacy with Community Action Council of Howard County, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) agency.
MUIH is required to utilize at least 7% of its FWS funding for community service positions with at least one to two FWS students employed as a reading tutor for preschool and/or elementary age or with a family literacy programs.
If you have additional questions about Federal Work-Study at MUIH, please contact the Financial Aid office at 410-888-9048 ext. 6778 or .
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here to review the Federal Work-Study FAQs.